The latest stable release is 1.14. The CVS development tree is now
at version 1.15. Bugfixes and important changes to the system are
described here for the two most recent released versions.
nhc98 1.14 (2002-06-14) features
- New: The Hat tracing system is now entirely separate from
the nhc98 compiler. Hat can now be used with either ghc
or nhc98 - you should download and build the Hat system
after building nhc98.
- New: The compiler now supports a simplified version of ghc's
package mechanism. No documentation yet, but Hat relies
- Performance: Various patches for improved time/space usage of the
compiler itself, contributed by Thomas Nordin.
- Bugfix: Various small fixes for OS environments like OpenBSD,
nhc98 1.12 (2002-03-14) features
- New: The old hat-trail tool written in Java is now obsolete,
replaced by a brand new version written in Haskell.
- New: There are numerous improvements to the Hat tools, and
their command syntax is now simplified and much more
- New: All possible tunnels between hat-trail, hat-observe, and
hat-detect are now available.
- New: The first version of the portable Hat transformation is
now available. In other words, Hat can now compile simple
programs with ghc instead of nhc98.
- Bugfix: The Time library now has implementations of addToClockTime
and diffClockTimes, and tdPicoSec is renamed to tdPicosec.
- Bugfix: The Numeric library now has implementations of floatToDigits,
formatRealFloat, fromRat, and show[EFG]Float.
- Bugfix: Numerous small problems with building on MacOS X have
been ironed out.
- Bugfix: The IO library did not re-export the PreludeIO definitions.
- Bugfix: An infix pattern decl of the form
a `Foo` (b `Bar` c) = 3 `Foo` (4 `Bar` 5)
could not be compiled because the parser lost the explicit
bracketing on the LHS.
- Bugfix: Allow an empty import/export decl with a single stray comma.
- Bugfix: Fix block-buffered file handles, so that they produce output
exactly when the buffer is full.
- Bugfix: Do not treat `qualified', `hiding', or `interface' as keywords
of the language - they are significant only in certain
- Bugfix: Increase garbage collection counters to 64-bits for correct
reports in long-running computations.
- Bugfix: Accept `instance ClassName (Prelude.->)' in source and
- Bugfix: Work around a rare buffer problem in hp2graph.
- Bugfix: Where an entire module is re-exported, but one of its
variables is hidden on import, the hidden variable should
not be re-exported.
- Bugfix: Fix link message "undefined reference to
`FN_Ix_46_95_46Unknown_46variable'" when using library Array.
- Bugfix: Update configuration script (again) to detect ghc-5.02
Status of various components
The basic, stable, components include the compiler itself, the Standard
Prelude and Libraries, heap profiling facilities, and the tools hmake,
greencard, and hp2graph. Relatively recent additions to the system
are the time profiler and common FFI.
||prelude + libraries
The latest updates to these pages are available on the WWW from
This page last modified: 2002.06.12
York Functional Programming Group